Thursday, July 29, 2010

pep talk

Do you know what I really love (besides Chas, Archie pup, Zac Efron, and Justin Bieber)? Well, I'll tell you. I really love being in the middle of leading a group when I'm hit with this thought: "Woah, when did I suddenly turn into a legit therapist?" It's starting to cross my mind more and more and I'm really liking it. I'm feeling pretty competent and confident in what I do and how I do it. I love having asked a patient a question in group and, based off their response, being 100% sure that the question/comment was right on. It's evidence I'm learning and my capabilities are growing. I can feel the time in grad school and my post-grad work experience finally starting to mesh together to form a strong, able therapist. Feelings of confusion, uncertainty, and generally grasping for straws are beginning to fade. I'm learning less by error and more by trial and...dare I say, success? Yup. I do. Because success in groups is what I've experienced a whole lot of lately. 

Also, today I just may have spent a few minutes of my time watching a Seventeen magazine cover shoot interview with America Ferrera (don't judge me). I'm actually really glad I did because she said this pretty awesome thing at the end: 

"The moments where I feel most confident, and happy, and fulfilled are moments that I've brought to myself and not moments that other people have brought to me." 

I totally agree with America on that one. There's a sense of pride and self-worth that comes from doing worthy things and doing them well.
 
And let me just qualify this post a little bit lest you start thinking I'm an overindulgent Gaston (think Beauty and the Beast). 
Far too many of us out there focus on our negative traits 99.9% of the time. Every day we give so, so much. We impact the world in priceless ways. Not only do we not recognize the good we do enough but we actively take emotional whacks at our self. We compare ourselves to others (never a good idea), we discount the little, but important, positives, and we make ourselves feel inadequate. News flash: neither you nor I am inadequate! So stop focusing on everything you're not and start focusing on everything that you ARE! 
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

2 comments:

hi! my name is Lora. said...

In response to your last sentence, I just started smoking. Thank you dear one. I have been inundated with negative self talk the past few days. I am helping people day in and day out and somehow tearing myself down in the process. I needed this. AND I am so glad you are finding your place as a therapist. Awesome!

Brynn said...

Yeah, baby! That's what I'm TALKIN' about!

Speaking of impacting the world in priceless ways, have I told you lately that I'm SO glad you're my sis-in-law?