Wednesday, April 28, 2010

last lesson

I just finished calculating grades and submitting every last one of them. Do you know what that means? It means I am officially all done with being a teacher. All done.

Also, I found Chas' secret candy stash...and may have celebrated a bit...

Last night, after dealing with a particularly difficult student's last bit of weirdness, I was feeling pretty yucky inside and like a not very good professor. One of those times when even though you know you've tried your absolute best in a tricky situation, and haven't done really anything wrong, you still feel like it's somehow all your fault. It made me sad to think of ending the semester on such a negative note of confrontation. What I didn't know, was there was the most perfect email waiting for me at home.

It was from a student.

She expressed immense gratitude for me and my class. She said that from now on, I will be that one teacher who made a difference in her life for good. She said enrolling in my class was the best decision she's ever made because of the knowledge and sense of personal empowerment she's gained.
She said her life is better because of me.  

Total tender mercy.
Kinda made all the drama this semester worth it. Kinda made me want to keep teaching...Kinda.
Mostly, it made me want to be sure to always express my own appreciation and gratitude to the people who make my life better.

1 comment:

Mayce and Ethan said...

Teaching is such a hard job. It just seems like no matter how much effort you put into your lessons, there will be students who hate it or act so bored. It is frustrating for sure. I'm happy for you for making it through!