Monday, March 28, 2011

The time we made monsters

Chas and I do this thing every Monday night called Family Night. We start with a prayer, sing a song, share a lesson (which usually consists of reading a spiritual message), have an activity, and then end with a treat. We love Family Night. It helps make Monday a little more tolerable. 

Tonight, I was in charge of our activity. 

First, we watched this awesome little mini-doc about the artist behind Daily Monster. Daily Monsters are created by blowing ink on paper and using the resulting random blot as a starting point for bringing monsters to life. Totally awesome. 


Of course we had to draw our very own Sam & Chas monsters afterwards.



In order to be true to the Daily Monster form, I felt like we needed a certain lack of control to play with in creating our monsters. And since we don't have ink to blow across our papers, we made big, random squiggles. I did a squiggle for Chas, he did one for me, and our monsters took shape from there!

So hey-

Make a crazy monster of your own, send your monster to me in an email, and I'll post the scary goodness for all to see! 

Email monsters to: cuposammyjo [at] aol [dot] com

9 comments:

♥ Nadine said...

I looove your monsters! So cute... ehm ... I mean, scary!! :)

XO.

Diana Smith said...

I think that is so cool that you guys have fhe even though its just the two of you!! we don't have a good enough excuse and we have a baby!!

HettyA said...

Hehe these monsters are so cute! :) It's good that you do family night, we definitely need to do that more.

Mandy said...

I just started following your blog thanks to Stacey over at Love and Photographs. I really like what you have to say! The monsters are awesome! Also love your "real"ness...I like reading and will continue to follow :) If you get the chance, come check out my blog over at http://livelaughlovetoday-mandy.blogspot.com/

have a great one!

Mrs. Biscuit said...

I loved the video! He's such a talented guy, and your monster pictures are great! You guys did a great job! What a fun activity! =)


And They Lived Happily Ever After...

Bonnie said...

These are super cute.
And I love that you have a quote of Emerson above your comment box.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Lindsay Fisher-Collie said...

family night with the mister is such a great idea! i might just steal it :)

Maria said...

This is such a great idea! I love y'alls monsters. Too cute!

Olivia.Dee said...

fabulous idea. i like your family night. ours usually includes way too much tv watching. haha.