Wednesday, September 22, 2010

pumpkins & fog

Some of my favorite Oregon memories were made while driving. 

First, I'll tell you about the pumpkin patches. On the way to Lizzie's school and our ward building, we'd pass the biggest, most magical expanses of perfect pumpkins. We're talking acres and acres of orange. There will always be a special place in our hearts reserved for those pumpkins.

Then there was the fog. Everyday, I'd drive to Portland for school, an hour away. You'd think a long daily commute would be awful, and most are. But this was a drive I'd look forward to. On either side of the freeway, further than you could see, were the greenest green grass fields. Sometimes the fields would be encompassed by a row of massive pine trees. Sometimes a red little crop dusting airplane would follow my car, zigzagging above. Immaculate vineyards and orchards were on the right. In the chilly, gray mornings, a layer of dewy fog hovered above the green. That's when I'd listen to the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack and just soak in the goodness of it all.

Jan posted this video and I've already watched it four times.

The Unseen Sea from Simon Christen on Vimeo.

3 comments:

candace said...

i needed that today! amazing video!

Meg and Joe said...

I miss Oregon too. Do you think you will ever move back?

Young People in Love said...

I'm not sure...I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to end up in Oregon but I don't think job prospects are too hot there for either of us right now.